New job Manager, Environmental Compliance Programs - Eastern in Quebec
Manager, Environmental Compliance Programs - Eastern
Company : Air Canada
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Quebec
Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
The Manager Environmental Compliance Programs - Eastern leads the development and delivery of environmental compliance programs within the Corporation and its subsidiaries within its assigned geographic area of responsibility to ensure environmental regulatory compliance and to meet formally stated environmental goals of the Corporation within the following key areas (but not limited to):
- Effluent, Stormwater and Chemical management
- Hazardous & special wastes
- Storage tanks, and
- Spill response
In addition, this position will manage the Hazardous Waste disposal contracts in assigned regions. This Manager will offer regional expertise, oversight and verification for environmental compliance activities to station and subsidiary management.
- Leads the development and delivery of issue-specific environmental programs system wide to ensure Branch and subsidiaries compliance with applicable environmental regulations in areas assigned:
- Identifies and advise on adverse trends, risks, hazards, and best practices in order to ensure the continuous improvement of environmental regulatory compliance programs within the Air Canada Environmental Management System.
- Advises on regulatory requirements and interfaces with government agencies. Ensures that appropriate control measures for all environmental and significant environmental aspects are in place to limit any possible liability to the Corporation.
- Responsible for maintaining environmental management plan documentation and specific regulatory requirements up to date and communicated to internal stakeholders.
- Manages environmental permits and environmental compliance authorisation, including the completion and submission of new permit applications with all required supporting documentation (engineering data, emission rates and levels and control measures).
- Acts as the liaison with local regulatory authorities and prepares regulatory reports, documentation and responses to the regulatory agencies.
- Acts as the liaison and co-ordinates site visits or inspection including enforcement action by an environmental regulatory agency. Ensures appropriate procedures are followed, provides internal notification and coordinates the acquisition and analysis of split samples where actual or pending agency action warrants such evidence for the Corporation’s defence.
- Prepares response to Notices of Violation, proposed non-compliance reports, media inquiries, adverse publicity, claims, impending enforcement actions, complaints with potential adverse consequences, agency inspections, etc.
- As per scheduled rotation, provides 24-hour coverage/availability to respond and manage environmental emergency issues on a local basis and provides assistance to the applicable station Emergency Response Team. Provides expertise in assessing environmental risks and impacts associated with an incident, managing the initial response and the clean up activities. Reports environmental incidents to appropriate governmental agencies and other authorities.
- Responsible for providing expertise, oversight and verification for station and subsidiary management regarding environmental compliance activities and environmental concerns for the YUL Base and Eastern region Canada.
- Provides day-to-day support and technical expertise to Branches, at the station level, in understanding regulatory compliance requirements and implementing environmental programs.
- Reviews and assess new projects and process modification in the context of their environmental impacts to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, including necessary permits and control devices.
- Assists branches or subsidiary in implementing environmental plans to meet goals and objectives in support of formally stated environmental goals of the Corporation.
- Acts as the liaison with regulatory authorities and airport authorities on behalf of station management and ensures preparation of appropriate reports and responses.
- Develops communications and awareness materials geared toward a variety of stakeholders, including internal branches as part of EMS requirements and engages employees around environmental protection and compliance to help build a culture of environmental stewardship and to drive performance within Air Canada.
- Responsible for the management of the hazardous waste disposal contracts for assigned regions to ensure environmental compliance and minimize cost, risk and liability to the Corporation:
- Act as main liaison with vendor for contract maintenance, vendor performance evaluation and conflict resolution.
- Support Branches in resolving waste collection and segregation issues.
- Participates and performs environmental compliance audits and supports branches in the development and implementation of corrective actions to ensure compliance with regulations and company best management practices.
- Provides technical expertise in the development of the Environmental Training programs.
- Ensures all policy and program documentation is maintained up to date within requirements of the EMS.
- Manages outside consultants as applicable to environmental regulatory programs assigned. This would include vendor identification, RFP development, selection, and ongoing oversight and management of vendor work.
- Continually maintains a high level of professional proficiency and knowledge of environmental compliance practices and environmental matters, regulations, technologies and developments. Shares good practices and problems/lessons learned with branches and colleagues.
Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Required as of October 31st, 2021
University degree in Engineering, Environmental Sciences or equivalent
5 years minimum experience in regulatory compliance management and/or auditing
Environmental Compliance Auditor training desirable
Knowledge of current Provincial and Federal environmental legislation, regulations and related industry best practices an asset.
Knowledge of chemical management and/or hazardous waste management desirable
Environmental Professional Designation an asset
Must have excellent communication skills and ability to foster strong relationships with and manage internal and external stakeholders.
Ability to manage projects, demonstrate initiative and able to work independently.
Must have excellent problem solving and analytical skills
Commitment to quality and pride in work, patience and perseverance
Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Programs (Access, Excel, Word).
Must be available and able to travel domestically and internationally approximately twice a month
Bilingual (English and French)
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.