New job Manager, Communications and External Relations & Manager, Research in Manitoba
Manager, Communications and External Relations & Manager, Research
Company : Western Economic Diversification Canada
Salary : $113,124 - $129,869 a year
Location : Manitoba
$113,124 to $129,869
For further information on the organization, please visit Prairies Economic Development Canada
WD Success Stories!
Closing date: 29 September 2021 - 23:59, Pacific TimeWho can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
Prairies Economic Development Canada (PrairiesCan) is looking for a few great Managers in Winnipeg.
- One will support the charge in building relationships across Manitoba’s economic development landscape, and communicating out to stakeholders as the indeterminate Manager, Communications and External Relations.
- The other will support Manitoba’s economic story through evidence, contribute to a community of like-minds, and be understood and trusted by others, as Manitoba’s Manager, Research for a 2.5 year term.
These are new positions where you may have to build as you go, and help your team along. You will excel in the role if you have a vast network, thrive in a fast-paced, flexible environment, and demonstrate a commitment to teamwork and positive relationships.
We encourage all highly motivated individuals with excellent communication and/or research skills to apply!
As Research Manager you will oversee a small team and work directly with community peers to monitor, research and analyze the economic environment in Manitoba in order to identify shared economic opportunities.
Your team provides analysis and data for senior management participation in internal, intergovernmental and external meetings and events. Your team also helps to convene, build partnerships, influence investments, and advise local leaders on key economic development opportunities based on evidence. You will excel in this role if you have an in-depth understanding of the Manitoba economy, the roles of federal and provincial governments in economic development and diversification, economic data and information sources, and a network of economic development contacts.
Manager, Communications and External Relations:
As Communications and External Relations Manager you will lead a unit of communicators and support a team of relationship builders within Manitoba and Canada’s economic landscape.
Your team will support the efforts in increasing visibility of the department in order to provide better access to federal economic development programs and services. Your team also supports outreach and engagement across the Province to build strong relationships with economic development peers in Manitoba. You will excel in this role if you have an extensive business network, utilize effective appropriate channels, and a knack for navigating sensitive topics.
Both roles will appeal to someone who has high standards, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and demonstrates a commitment to teamwork and staff development.
Intent of the process
The intent is to staff 1 indeterminate and 1 term position.
A pool of qualified candidates (fully assessed or partially assessed) will be established and may be used to staff similar positions at this group and level. This process may be used for various positions and tenures (including but not limited to term and indeterminate appointments, internal assignments, secondments, deployments, acting appointments, casual) as well as various locations, security requirements, language requirements and conditions of employment. The pool of qualified candidates may also be shared and accessed with other federal government departments.
Positions to be filled: 2
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- Graduation with a degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with acceptable specialization in economics, sociology or statistics.
- Significant* experience in issues management including providing support, briefings, and expert advice to senior management on strategic directions, sensitive external relations issues, priorities, and economic issues.
- Experience leading teams.
- Significant experience is defined as having the depth and breadth of experience that would normally be acquired with the performance of full time duties for a period of two years or more.
- Significant* experience in developing and implementing communications products, activities and strategies and managing sensitive communications issues.
- Significant* experience building strong, long lasting relationships with partners and stakeholders to support communities in achieving their economic goals.
- Experience in research and data analytics to address a broad range of policy-related or economic development opportunities.
- Significant* experience in evidence based decision making using quantitative, qualitative and operational data to identify opportunities and formulate recommendations to management.
- Experience building economic research partnerships where joint projects facilitate shared outcomes.
- Knowledge of current economic and business trends, opportunities and challenges in Manitoba.
- Create Vision and Strategy
- Mobilize People
- Uphold Integrity and Respect
- Collaborate with Partners and Stakeholders
- Achieve Results
- Excellent oral and written communication
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
1. Masters degree from a recognized university in a field relevant to the position.
2. Experience managing financial and human resources.
3. Experience working with federal regional development communities, priorities and issues with a focus on western Canada.
4. Experience working with Western Canada's economic structure and trends likely to affect its economic development.
5. Knowledge of how PrairiesCan and other federal, provincial and regional/municipal economic programs/policies support economic development and diversification in the prairies.
6. Depth, breadth and scope in any one or combination of the experience factors.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
Information on language requirements
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
TIPS FOR APPLICANTS: When answering the screening questions ensure that you provide complete and thorough details of your experience. Do not assume that the screening board has any previous knowledge of your background, qualifications, or work history. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided. Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition.
Communication for this process will be sent via email. Applicants MUST check their email accounts frequently as there may be a deadline for responses. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
Depending on the number of applicants, the needs and/or Human Resources plans, volume management strategies such as random selection, top-down approach and/or establishing cut-off scores to determine who will continue in the staffing process, MAY BE USED for the purpose of managing applications.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.