New job Full-time, Permanent, Education Outreach Officer Qalipu First Nation in Corner Brook, NL Yesterday New! in Newfoundland and Labrador
Full-time, Permanent, Education Outreach Officer Qalipu First Nation in Corner Brook, NL Yesterday New!
Company : Qalipu First Nation
Salary : $42,000 a year
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
Job Title: Full-time, Permanent, Education Outreach Officer
Location: Corner Brook, NL
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Salary: $42,000/per annum
The Education Outreach Officer is responsible for assisting in the development, coordination and delivery of Indigenous education and child/youth initiatives within the NLESD and Wards of Qalipu First Nation. The Officer will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of the Education Outreach Program, the Outdoor Education Program, One Sky Program and other child and youth special projects and initiatives. The Officer will coordinate community engagement sessions, schedule meetings, assist in the creation of cultural programming, deliver cultural content, and assist in the administration of programs and events.
- Assisting in the delivery of the Outdoor Education Program, including interpretation, instruction, and supervision duties. The Outdoor Education Program takes place in a land-based learning environment, including significant walking and time spent outdoors.
- Assisting in the coordination and delivery of the Education Outreach and One Sky programs, including delivering cultural content, school visits and school event coordination
- Assisting in the development, coordination and delivery of education and child/youth special projects as identified by the Manager of Education and Training
- Coordinating community engagement sessions
- Proposal writing and reporting
- Providing support to related Education and Training projects that further the culture and heritage of the Mi'kmaq people
- Work in collaboration with Elders, Knowledge Keepers, and community members for the creation and delivery of cultural programming
The preferred candidate will have a degree or diploma in a field related to education or community development.
The successful applicant will have teaching experience and/or experience coordinating and delivering child/youth programs. They will also have experience working as part of a team in a fast paced and dynamic work environment. Consideration will be given to those applicants who possess equivalent training and experience.
Skills, Ideal candidates will possess the following skills and abilities:
- Strong organization and time management skills related to communications, gathering, and filing information, scheduling, and routine office work
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and collaboratively as required
- Comfortable and capable of working in indoor and variable outdoor conditions
- Experience in curriculum development and delivery of K-12 educational programming, with specific experience in Indigenous education or studies
- Experience working with youth
- Adequate energy level and ability to meet the physical demands of the job.
- Standard First Aid Certification
- Willingness to travel including overnight stays as required
This position will have duties predominantly met during regular business hours. Travel and overnight stays are required during the Outdoor Education Program at Killdevil Camp and Conference Centre in Lomond from May to June and from September to October, annually. Additional travel and flexibility of work schedule are required throughout the year.
A portion of the work will take place in outdoor environments with variable weather conditions. Physical activity is required including walking, hiking, bending, light lifting and crouching.
Please indicate in your cover letter how you meet Education and Experience requirements outlined above.
If you are interested in this position, please apply with resume, covering letter, and three professional references using one of the options listed below. Submissions are to be addressed to:
Mrs. Janet McAuley, Human Resources Manager
Qalipu Mi'kmaq First Nation
3 Church Street
Corner Brook, NL A2H 2Z4
To Apply, please use one of the options listed below:
Electronically apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org using MS Word with subject line: "Education Outreach Officer".
Deadline for receipt of Cover Letter and Resume: Wednesday, September 29th, 2021, at 4:00 pm.
Please note: Diplomas/certificates for Post-Secondary Education and Training and a Code of Conduct with a vulnerable sector query are required. The successful applicants must possess a valid driver's license and have access to a private vehicle.
QFN is an equal opportunity employer, in situations where candidates have equal credentials, preference will be given to aboriginal candidates. If you are a member of Qalipu First Nation please indicate it in your cover letter.