New job Financial Services Officer 2 (Trust Accountant) in Nova Scotia
Financial Services Officer 2 (Trust Accountant)
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $4,106 - $4,829 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Office of the Public Trustee
Type of Employment: Term
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 9/29/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Public Trustee is committed to the proper administration of estates of deceased persons, incompetent persons, children, and missing persons. It is also committed to provide informed consents for health care, placement to a continuing care home or home care services using an approach that is client-centered, respectful of human rights and freedoms, and in the client’s best interests if prior wishes, values, and beliefs are not known.
About Our Opportunity
As the Trust Accountant, you maintain the financial records and investment portfolios of client accounts under the administration of the Public Trustee Office.
- Prepares final accounts for estates of deceased persons and financial statements for trust and guardianship accounts.
- Processes revenues, expenses, and assets for clients through a customized computer program.
- Reviews all accounting transactions for accuracy and ensures compliance with departmental accounting policies.
- Responsible for the balancing of all accounting transactions on a daily basis.
- Prepares a monthly bank reconciliation through the use of multiple financial institution and accounting programs.
- Consults with investment institutions on various investment portfolios to find the best rate of return while adhering to the Public Trustee Office’s investment policy.
Qualifications and Experience
To be considered for this opportunity, you hold 3 years of post-secondary professional accounting training in addition to a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
The following skills/experience are required:
- Strong knowledge of accounting transactions, procedures, and internal controls.
- Working knowledge of investments.
- Strong typing skills.
- Proficient with and Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Self-motivated, adaptable, and a high level of initiative.
- The ability to complete work accurately, while meeting deadlines
- Excellent organizational and communication skills to interact effectively with internal clients and financial institutions.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs.
- This is an office based position, and standards hours are 35 hours/week.
- There may be some mental strain from significant time working on a computer.
This is a term full-time position (approximately 1 year duration) based in Halifax.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Mentorship through iNSpire; a new formal, interdepartmental mentorship program that connects employees so they can gain knowledge and experience to support their career development.
- Countless Career Paths for Nova Scotians.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: TE 22
Salary Range: $2,052.93 - $2,414.26 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to Competitions@novascotia.ca.