New job Supervisor, Wastewater Operations (Permanent) in Alberta
Supervisor, Wastewater Operations (Permanent)
Company : Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Salary : $12,480 a year
Location : Alberta
Position Type/ Hours:
This is a permanent full-time position working seventy (70) hours bi-weekly within the Wastewater Treatment Branch of the Environmental Services Department. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
The Supervisor, Wastewater is responsible for providing guidance and support in all areas of wastewater operations and maintenance. Primary responsibilities of this position include:
Employee Development: Performs supervisory tasks for assigned team members. Works with team to plan and balance workload. Ensures that the team is managed fairly and consistently and that work processes are followed and coordinated to guarantee service levels. Mentors, coaches, and provides support to staff. Assists in recruitment and training of staff.
Research and Implementation: Participates in the continuous research, development, improvement, and implementation of effective departmental strategies, tools, and guidelines based on the Municipality's best practices. Analyzes the effectiveness of departmental programs and makes suggestions for further improvement. Provides input on department business plans, initiatives, and budget to ensure continuous achievement of department goals.
Departmental Guidance: Ensures all required special reports are prepared and issued in a timely, accurate manner as required under legislation. Supports the Municipality regarding consultation with government on legislative and regulatory changes to membership, mandate, authority, scope of operations, environmental standards, licensing, and related matters. Leads the operating licence renewal process. Interacts with and supports the maintenance team. Ensures plants are operated and maintained according to relevant legislation and standards. Ensures standards are strictly followed to guarantee compliance with environmental and public safety requirements. Submits Annual Operating Reports to Alberta Environment.
- Diploma in Environmental Science or a related field is required.
- Wastewater Treatment Level Ill is required.
- Water Treatment, Water Distribution, and Wastewater Collection Certification is considered an asset.
- Seven (7) years of experience in a municipal wastewater environment with a minimum of three (3) years in a leadership/supervisory role.
- Experience working in a public sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Alberta Class Five (5) driver’s licence is preferred as the incumbent may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use (clear driver’s abstract is an asset).
You will possess the following:
- Thorough understanding of all legislation, standards, and best practices pertaining to wastewater treatment operations.
- Knowledge of all equipment and processes used in wastewater treatment operations.
- Must be familiar with health, safety, and environmental standards.
- Ability to empower people, and use innovative approaches in situations involving rapid change, shifting priorities, and/or simultaneous demands.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to assess situations from a business perspective.
- Strong team player with a collaborative style.
- Strong organizational, project management, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, employees, leaders, industry contacts and other external contacts.
- Proficient with various software applications, including Microsoft Office and CMMS.
- Sound, practical judgment using independent decision making.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions (immunizations are strongly recommended for work in unsanitary conditions).
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer:
- an extensive employer paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance
September 12, 2021 at 11:59 PM
Internal & External (Posted: August 28, 2021)
To apply: Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.