New job Software Developer in Nova Scotia
Company : National Defence
Salary : $75,129 - $91,953 a year
Location : Nova Scotia
Halifax (Nova Scotia)
$75,129 to $91,953
Closing date: 9 June 2021 - 23:59, Pacific TimeWho can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
The Department of National Defence (DND) is one of the largest federal government employers. DNDs role is to provide services and support to the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in their operations and missions at home and abroad. As a civilian employee, you will be an important part of the Defence Team.
Intent of the process
The intent of this process is to fill one (1) indeterminate position in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
A pool of partially qualified and essentially qualified candidates may be established and may be used for future permanent (indeterminate) and temporary (actings, specified period employment) appointments to similar positions with various employment tenures, language profiles, security requirements, and conditions of employment.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
ED01 - Successful completion of two years of an acceptable post-secondary educational program in computer science, information technology, information management, electrical engineering or another specialty relevant to the position to be staffed.
1. Indeterminate period incumbents of positions in the CS group on May 10, 1999, who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standards based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the CS group.
2. It is the recognized educational institution (e.g. community college, CÉGEP or university) that determines if the courses taken by a candidate correspond to two years of a post-secondary program at the institution.
3 .At the manager's discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum post-secondary education stated above. Whenever the minimum education is met using this alternative, it is met for the specific position only and must be re-assessed for other positions for which this alternative has been specified by the manager.
EX01 – Experience in database operation and maintenance.
EX02 – Experience in organizing scientific data.
EX03 – Experience with web or software development.
EX04 – Experience working with any three (3) of the following: C++, Python, Matlab, IDL, R, or Java.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
AED01 - College diploma or University degree relevant to the position being staffed.
AEX01 – Experience soliciting, gathering, analyzing, and documenting Information Technology (IT) business requirements.
AEX02 – Experience preparing data for analysis, including organizing, formatting, translating, and cleaning stored data.
AEX03 – Experience collecting and compiling operational or experimental data.
AEX04 – Experience preparing technical reports.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Information on language requirements
C01 – Demonstrating integrity and respect
C02 – Thinking things through
C03 – Working effectively with others
C04 – Showing initiative and being action-oriented
A01 – Ability to manage and prioritize tasks.
A02 – Ability to meet deadlines.
A03 – Ability to communicate effectively orally
A04 – Ability to communicate effectively in writing
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
AK01 – Knowledge of statistics, including: entering, collecting, searching, verifying, extracting and presenting data.
AK02 – Knowledge of Digital Signal Processing techniques such as Fourier analysis.
AK03 – Knowledge of machine learning
IT knowledge, including providing end-user support for different programs or software.
Increase employment equity representation may be sought through the recruitment of members of one of the four employment equity groups (women, aboriginal, disability, visible minority).
In support of Strong, Secure, Engaged (SSE) initiative #24, consideration may be given to the spouses or common-law partners of Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members.
Must be willing and able to travel within Canada and internationally.
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
1. When completing the screening questions, remember that the assessment board cannot make assumptions about your experience. It is insufficient to say that you have the required qualifications or to list your current or past duties. Rather, candidates must demonstrate how they meet the education and experience criteria listed in the job opportunity advertisement by providing CLEAR AND CONCRETE EXAMPLES.
2. Candidates must meet the essential qualifications to be appointed to a position. However, a person may be appointed to the position even though he or she does not meet any or all of the asset qualifications, operational requirements, or organizational needs. Please note that meeting these criteria may be desirable and may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed.
3. All results and invitations for interview/written assessment will be sent electronically. We request therefore that you include a valid electronic address (e-mail address) when you apply and make sure this address is functional at all times and accepts messages from unknown users.
4. Candidates’ qualifications may be determined by various tests, interview and/or reference check.
5. Ability to communicate effectively will be assessed throughout the process.
6. Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
7. Our organization will only accept on-line applications for this advertisement. All job applications must therefore be submitted through www.canada.gc.ca/ government-jobs.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.