New job Secretary 2 in Nova Scotia
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $3,158 - $3,534 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Current NS Government Employee Sign In
Competition # : 31116
Department: Finance and Treasury Board
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 6/23/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At the Department of Finance and Treasury Board we strive to provide financial leadership, analysis and policies that strengthen Nova Scotia. As stewards of the province’s financial affairs, we deliver a wide range of corporate fiscal and management services – including the preparation of the provincial budget – as well as ensure government plans are coordinated and fiscally responsible.
We are constantly looking for new and better ways to plan, manage, budget and invest.
About Our Opportunity
We have an exciting new opportunity for an Administrative Secretary. You will provide support to the Director in time management by having a comprehensive knowledge of the Advisory Service functions and activities.
As the Secretary, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Responding to enquiries from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Preparing correspondence and providing a broad range of administrative, organizational, and secretarial support on a variety of complex and confidential matters.
- Maintain a computerized log of Ministerial correspondence.
- Track finance activities.
- Produce and review reports, letters, briefing notes, memoranda, meeting notes, agendas, follow up to action items, briefs, pamphlets, forms, surveys, etc., including Ministerial and Deputy Minister materials.
- Coordinate the preparation of the monthly forecast and turnaround documents for the Advisory Team.
- Maintain and continuously improve the Advisory Services electronic filing system.
- Ensure confidentiality is maintained due to the sensitive nature of dealing with financial information.
- Schedule meetings, prepare all materials for meetings, arrange meeting rooms, and assist with planning.
- Other administrative duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
To be successful within this role, you will have at least a one (1) year business course supplemented by two (2) years of related secretarial experience. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
You thrive in a fast-paced team environment and are proficient at word processing, spreadsheets, and other standard computer applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and internet use. You demonstrate the ability to multi-task, prioritize your work and are skilled with managing electronic filing systems. You are a team player with strong interpersonal skills, as well as sensitive to the needs of clients and displaying tact, sound judgement, and exercising discretion and confidentiality. Effective verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to work independently are also essential for this role.
Your knowledge of government policies, processes, and procedures, as well as familiarity with Health Services Emergency Management would be considered assets.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career
- Engaging workplace: our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies
- Mentorship through iNSpire: a new formal, interdepartmental mentorship program that connects employees so they can gain knowledge and experience to support their career development
- Countless career paths for Nova Scotians
- Department specific flexible working schedules
Pay Grade: CL 18
Salary Range: $1,579.09 - $1,766.79 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU).
Current NS Government Employee Sign In
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to Competitions@novascotia.ca.