New job Operations Labourer (Summer Term) - Closes June 17 in Alberta
Operations Labourer (Summer Term) - Closes June 17
Company : Municipality of Crowsnest Pass
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
Operations Labourer I
Operations Labourer I
CUPE Local 812 Wage Band 131-160
Temporary (outside worker) Starting ASAP until October 29, 2021
The Labourer I is an entry level position where general labour functions are combined with operation of light duty fleet vehicles, mechanized tools and equipment, as well as minimal operation of smaller self-propelled equipment relating to the maintenance of road and sidewalk systems, water distribution systems, and wastewater and storm water collection systems. This position is temporary and may be subject to seasonal terms.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with repairs of water mains, and wastewater and storm mains that are broken or in need of replacement.
- Assists with maintaining wastewater and storm lines by flushing mains.
- Assists with servicing and maintaining fire hydrants according to established schedules to ensure hydrants are working properly.
- Assists with repairing and maintaining roadways and sidewalks by patching, crack filling, and painting traffic and parking lines.
- Assists with installing and repairing signs as required.
- Performs minor repairs on tools and equipment to ensure that they are in working order; may assist with equipment repairs and preventative maintenance duties.
- Operates equipment and tools including hand tools, portable power tools, air compressor, paint sprayer, trash pumps, compaction equipment, pavement cutter, gas detector, metal detector, leak detector and operates light duty trucks up to 1 ton.
- Maintains the cleanliness and appearance of municipal equipment, vehicles, and facilities by washing and cleaning them as required.
- May assist with the facility maintenance by performing minor plumbing, electrical, or carpentry duties.
- Provides other duties as assigned by the Operations Leadhand.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Ability to learn to operate basic equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to verbally communicate effectively with the public and co-workers to ensure a safe and productive work environment.
- Ability to provide strong customer service to the public.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
Education and Experience
This position requires the following minimum qualifications:
- A high school diploma or equivalent and the possession of a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- No previous experience is required.
Independence and Scope of Impact
The work is supervised by a Leadhand who may not always be on site. The incumbent is expected to perform the assigned tasks according to instructions provided or according to established work practices and procedures. The Leadhand is consulted if the job requires additional resources or if unforeseen conditions present themselves. The incumbent must exercise good judgement to avoid causing bodily injury or damage to public and private property.
Internal – Regular contacts are maintained with co-workers on the job site regarding the work and ensure that safety is a high priority.
External – Minimal contact with external contacts.
The Operation Labourer is supervised by the Operations Leadhand and other senior operators, and as such, supervisory or specialist advisory responsibilities are not normally part of the job but there may be a requirement to show other Labourers how to perform the work.
The work is performed mostly outdoors in all weather conditions. There are occasions when the conditions are extreme in terms of temperature, inclement weather, mud, dust, noise, vibration and exposure to raw sewage. When operating equipment, the incumbent may be required to sit and concentrate for prolonged periods. The work is physically strenuous and regularly requires the incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch and stand. The incumbent must routinely climb on and off equipment and lift weights in excessive of 10kgs.