New job Library Services Assistant in Nova Scotia
Library Services Assistant
Company : Dalhousie University
Salary : $23.70 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.Job Summary
University Libraries support and advance learning and research endeavors by providing collections, facilities and services that expedite access to the world’s information and knowledge. Reporting to the Manager, MacRae Library Services, the Library Services Assistant plays an important role in the daily operations of the Dalhousie Libraries by providing library and information services to a wide range of patrons including students, faculty, staff and members of the public.Key Responsibilities
- Perform circulation duties (i.e., check-in/check-out library materials, set up and modify patron records, process Novanet Express requests, process requests for reserve materials, searches/holds/recalls of library materials and prepare items for courier).
- Determine information needs and handle inquiries, at the service point, from a variety of patrons (e.g. students, faculty, researchers, and general public) with varying levels of knowledge.
- Perform lending function of document delivery including document retrieval copying, scanning, saving documents as electronic files and transferring electronic files.
- Maintain electronic access to content by editing title and holdings information for new, changed, or ceased titles or formats in the Integrated Library System (Novanet ILS) and link resolver (Ex Libris SFX).
- Catalogue all material types and formats for General Collections, Special Collections, Government Documents, Standing Orders and Serials using the ILS.
- Undertake digitalization of material and metadata projects from library and archival collections in accordance with standards and best practices.
Completion of Library & Information Technology diploma plus one to two years’ library customer service experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel) and strong computer skills are required. Basic knowledge of cataloguing (RDA, AACR2, Library of Congress classification and MARC), experience searching and using library databases and electronic resources, an aptitude for using a variety of software programs, and familiarity with computerized library systems is required. Excellent communication, time management and attention to detail skills required. Ability to multi-task and to work effectively with the public, in a team environment, is essential.Job Competencies Additional Information Application Consideration
Applications from university employees and external candidates are given concurrent consideration. Among short listed candidates, university employees will be given special consideration.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.Diversity Statement
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.