New job Instructor Coordinator - Literacy & Essential Skills in Yukon
Instructor Coordinator - Literacy & Essential Skills
Company : Frontier College
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Education And Child Care
Term Maternity Cover (6 Months)
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Start date: Monday July 5th, 2021
Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization that was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of partner organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Frontier College is accredited under the Imagine Canada Standards program.
In the Yukon, Frontier College works in partnership with businesses and the Yukon Government to provide on-site, Workplace Literacy & Essential Skills (WLES) programming for entry-level workers experiencing barriers to continuing learning. We are seeking an Instructor-Coordinator who will be responsible for the continued delivery of a workplace literacy and essential skills tutoring program for adult learners in a major retail outlet in Whitehorse.
The successful applicant will be supported by another Instructor-Coordinator in Whitehorse. The group is a part of the West & Prairies Regional team and reports to the Regional Director based in Vancouver.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver in-house tutoring program that fits the employer’s needs, culture, language/terminology, and processes.
- Assess learner needs and create individualized learning plans based on their workplace role and knowledge of the nine essential skills
- Plan and conduct up to 25 hours of tutoring sessions weekly, managing a group of up to 40 adult learners with different learning levels and goals
- Maintain close communication with management, responding to feedback and ensuring the program continues to meet all their needs
- Be available to tutor irregular hours at times, with possible evening/weekend sessions required to access highest need learners
- Maintain accurate records and submit reports on learners’ progress, techniques used and best practices
- Complete other representative or administrative duties for Frontier College or the employer as needed
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent command of the English language (spoken and written) and basic math
- Strong digital skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Extensive experience in tutoring or teaching adults, particularly low to intermediate level ESL learners
- Post-secondary education in a related field such as Education, TESL or other comparable degree (or equivalent combination of education, training, or experience)
- Ability to work independently and accomplish goals with minimal supervision
- Experience working in the community literacy or essential skills field
- Formal qualification in ESL instruction
- Experience tutoring online
- Strong cultural awareness and understanding of challenges faced by newcomers to the Yukon
- Flexible, resilient and able to manage demands and priorities from multiple stakeholders
- Excellent multi-tasking, organization and time management skills
Compensation: We offer an attractive compensation package, excellent benefits, flexible working schedule and a chance to work in a supportive environment.
Interested candidates should send resumé and covering letter to:
Richard Harvey, Regional Director – Western Canada Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 5pm Wednesday 9th June, 2021 – early applications encouraged.
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
We encourage applications that reflect the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds we serve at Frontier College. In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of our organization, we encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Furthermore, we welcome applications from individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code.
We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with the Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.