New job Community Advocate (Volunteer) in Newfoundland and Labrador
Community Advocate (Volunteer)
Company : First Voice Urban Indigenous Coalition
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
Launched in 2019 by First Light in collaboration with Indigenous Services Canada, First Voice is a coalition of 11 organizations representing Indigenous Peoples, service providers, and all levels of government working together to advance truth and reconciliation in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. Our work focuses on promoting and supporting local implementation of the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), the Calls for Justice of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG), and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).
In order to ensure strong representation from the St. John’s urban Indigenous community, First Voice is recruiting two additional volunteer Community Advocates to participate in all aspects of the coalition, including its Partnership Table and a variety of priority committees. Although this is a volunteer position, an annual honorarium of $500 is available to each successful candidate.
What You Have
· Passion for promoting the human rights of Indigenous Peoples;
· Commitment to First Voice’s Vision, Mandate, Values, and Objectives;
· Understanding of, or connection to, the history, cultures, languages, and/or traditions of Indigenous Peoples;
· Critical perspective on urban Indigenous issues in St. John’s, whether through formal education or lived experience;
· Collaborative spirit and commitment to consensus-based decision-making;
· Ability to dedicate approximately five hours per month until at least March 2022; and
· Status or non-status membership in an Indigenous community is preferred.
What You’ll Be Doing
· Advocating for systemic change in the areas of public policy and service delivery;
· Working with other members of the First Voice Partnership Table and its various committees to promote implementation of the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), the Calls for Justice of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG), and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP);
· Sharing knowledge, skills, experience, and perspectives on urban Indigenous issues;
· Engaging in thoughtful discussion with other members of First Voice by arriving prepared for all meetings, including having reviewed agendas, minutes, and other relevant materials beforehand; and
· Contributing to First Voice’s overall strategic direction.
How to Get in Touch
Candidates meeting some or all of the above points are encouraged to get in touch to learn more about this volunteer position and to submit their names for consideration. Elders, youth, and individuals with lived experience are especially encouraged to reach out. Please contact:
First Voice Urban Indigenous Coalition
Successful candidates will be selected through a competitive process after Monday, July 5, 2021.
Part-time hours: 1.5 per week
Application deadline: 2021-07-05
Expected start date: 2021-07-21
Job Types: Part-time, Volunteer
Salary: $500.00 per year
During COVID-19, all First Voice activities will continue to be conducted remotely.
- What is your understanding of, or connection to, the history, cultures, languages, and/or traditions of Indigenous Peoples?
- Please share some detail about your interest in this volunteer opportunity.
- Temporarily due to COVID-19