New job Agri-Environmental Specialist in Prince Edward Island
Company : Government of Prince Edward Island
Salary : $32.57 - $40.70 an hour
Location : Prince Edward Island
Open To The Public
Department of Agriculture and Land
Full-Time Classified Position
(Commencing July 2021)
The PEI Department of Agriculture and Land aims to encourage the development of an innovative, diverse and inclusive workforce which enables the organization to realize its goals. This position's role is to assist Island producers and agri-business in implementing management strategies that reduce pesticide risk to both humans and the environment and that reduce the impact of nutrients on soil and water quality. Duties include:
- Provide professional advice to Island producers, crop advisors, government employees and farm organizations on pest management strategies that reduce pesticide risk to both humans and our environment;
- Responsible for being a technical advisor for specific components of various Federal/Provincial agri-environmental financial/technical assistance initiatives including programs for improved pest management, invasive alien species control, integrated pest management planning and a pesticide risk reduction program;
- Certify that projects meet program requirements and authorize payments;
- Responsible for providing technical advice for a nutrient management accountability program to producers, nutrient management planners, farm organizations and government re-nutrient management strategies that promote environmentally sound nutrient and crop management practices for improved soil and water quality;
- Respond to public and agriculture questions related to pesticides and pesticide application;
- Promote nutrient management practices to agri-business and producers;
- Develop factsheets and present information to various stakeholder groups;
- Perform, initiate and/or collaborate in agri-environmental research that will result in increased uptake of pest management BMP's;
- Other duties as required.
- MSc. in Agriculture Crop Production specializing in pest management with nutrient management training or a BSc with considerable experience in pest and nutrient management;
- Requires experience in the area of agricultural production practices relevant to Island agriculture;
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Must have excellent applied science research and computer skills;
- Must be eligible for membership in the PEI Institute of Agrologists;
- Must have a valid driver's license;
- Crop Advisor Certification would be an asset.
Preference will be given to UPSE Civil Employees as per the UPSE Civil Collective Agreement.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The "Notification of Successful Candidates" list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Salary Range: $32.57 - $40.70 per hour (Level 18)
Bi-weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly Days
Posting ID#: 145727-0521ALPO
Closing Date: Monday, June 14, 2021 4:00 p.m.
Please return forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383. It is the responsibility of the applicant to confirm receipt of the application, by telephone or in person prior to the closing date. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms. You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at www.gov.pe.ca/jobs. Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephone (902) 368-4080.