New job Summer Student - Tax Commission and Business Registry in Nova Scotia
Summer Student - Tax Commission and Business Registry
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $18.21 - $26.90 an hour
Location : Nova Scotia
Competition # : 30165
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Student
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 4/28/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services, we impact every citizen, business and municipality and business in Nova Scotia. Our mandate is to design and deliver programs and services to meet the needs of our clients and the public good through a culture of excellence. Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services’ vision is to be a recognized leader in service and public protection that delivers trusted, accessible, modern programs, and contributes to Nova Scotia as a safe and desirable place to live, work and do business.
About Our Opportunity
The Provincial Tax Commission at the Department of Service Nova Scotia & Internal Services has an exciting summer student employment opportunity. Are you someone who would enjoy taking a deep dive into interesting topics that affect Nova Scotians and citizens across Canada? Do you enjoy analyzing data to find and present intriguing correlations? If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you!
- Conduct jurisdiction scans in Canada, US and commonwealth countries on various taxation topics.
- Review relevant case law and present findings.
- Report query writing using report writer software (Cognos)
Qualifications and Experience
As the successful candidate you are currently enrolled in a post-secondary program such as political science, computer science or law.
You also possess the following:
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Report writing experience.
- Experience conducting data analysis.
The following will be considered strong assets:
- Ability to interpret government policy.
- Exposure to the interpretation of legislation.
- Experience using Cognos report writing software.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- An engaged workplace where we foster respect and recognition.
- Forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Mentorship through iNSpire; a new formal, interdepartmental mentorship program that connects employees so they can gain knowledge and experience to support their career development.
- Countless Career Paths for Nova Scotians.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: HOURLY
Salary Range: $18.21 - $26.90 Hourly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to Competitions@novascotia.ca.