New job Soil Specialist in Truro, NS
Company : Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc.
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Truro, NS
Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc. is Nova Scotia's development agency focusing on the food sector. Our mission is supporting growth, transformation and economic development in Nova Scotia's agriculture, seafood, and food and beverage sectors.
We are looking for a talented, innovative professional with an understanding and expertise in soil science and soil health to initiate and lead soil-based projects, and work as a collaborator with our agriculture production specialists as part of an integrated team. Perennia recognizes how vital soil and soil health is to the sustainability and success of our farming sector. We want to be a leader in addressing issues and seeking opportunities in this area, and this position will be at the front lines of exciting and impactful work in this area provincially, regionally and nationally.
As a provincial Soil Specialist, clients and projects may span the province, but the ideal location for this position is close to either our Truro or Kentville offices or centrally located in the province with a commitment to travel as required.
The successful candidate will be our team's in-depth subject expert on soils and soil health and will provide development and proactive leadership of a comprehensive soil and soil health extension program and services to clients on soil subjects. This position requires a self-starter with a strong work ethic, positive attitude, comfortable in using technology and virtual information sharing tools, and a high personal standard of excellence.
- Provide information, education, and advisory services to farmers on soil subject matter as a lead specialist or as part of a holistic team depending on the path to success for the client
- Lead and conduct soil classification work including sampling, analyzing field data, interpreting analytical data, and mapping soil according to classifications.
- Conduct in-depth site assessments and make recommendations as needed.
- Share relevant information and advice to increase the knowledge and skills sets of Nova Scotia farmers through presentations, field days and workshops, webinars, online learning, instructional videos, podcasts, blogs, fact sheets and publications and social media
- Work collaboratively with other Perennia specialists to deliver a variety of services
- Communicate information within the team in an open and timely manner and be the lead in sharing soil-based updates, research, etc. so they are aware of most recent developments in soils and soil health
- Identify projects with short- and long-term impacts on Nova Scotia agriculture from a soil perspective, develop proposals and budgets, and lead/manage projects
- An appreciation for our role as a partner with relevant provincial departments and a collaborative approach to working with government, industry, and academia, for example the provincial soil testing lab.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- M.SC in Soil Science, environmental science, or related discipline
- Relevant work experience ideally working directly with producers in some capacity
- Proficiency in Canadian Soil Management Systems classifications, descriptions, and soil mapping
- Experience working with GIS and data collection tools would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects
- Demonstrated experience in developing content for a producer audience
- A collaborative approach to work with an open attitude that contributes to a positive and supportive work environment
- An ability to be adaptable and balance multiple project requirements while demonstrating a high level of technical excellence
Perennia offers a competitive compensation package based on the candidate's skill and experience. This includes base salary, benefits, flexible schedules, personal days and three weeks' vacation to start.
To apply for this exciting position at Perennia, please email a combined PDF or Word cover letter and resume noting compensation expectations to email@example.com by noon on April 30, 2021.
Examples of content you have created would be highly valued as part of your application.
Only e-mail applications will be accepted. Thank you to all who apply but only those granted interviews will be contacted. For more information about Perennia visit our website at
Perennia is an Equal Opportunity Employer