New job Director of Culture, Tourism & Community Development, Full time in Corner Brook, NL
Director of Culture, Tourism & Community Development, Full time
Company : Qalipu First Nation
Salary : $65,000 a year
Location : Corner Brook, NL
Job Title: Director of Culture, Tourism & Community Development, Full time
Location of Position: Based on the location of the suitable candidate
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $ 65,000 per year
Reporting to the Band Manager, the Director of Culture, Tourism & Community Development is responsible for the administration and leadership of the Band's Community Economic Development, Tourism, Culture and Heritage divisions. The Director will work with the Band Council, Band Manager, and other Departmental Directors on the development and implementation of the Band's Strategic Plan. The Director will create Annual Operating Plans for each division to achieve Strategic Plan objectives. The Director will develop and maintain relationships with various community partners and stakeholders to enhance opportunities of the Band and its members.
The position will have direct management responsibility for the staff in the positions of Administrative Assistant, Manager of Tourism & Community Development, Manager of Culture & Community Outreach, Community Development Officer, Cultural Liaison Officer (western), Cultural Liaison Officer (central), and Experience Development Officer.
- Overall management of all the Department's staff, programs, and services
- Creation and implementation of Departmental budgeting processes and financial monitoring
- Creation and implementation of a Quality Management System for the Department
- Review and regularly update all policies and procedures of the Department
- Coordinate with the Band Council on the creation of annual operating plans with specific Departmental objectives
- Implementation and monitoring of annual operating plans
- Assign members of the Department to plan and deliver on special projects and programs as required
- Prepare timely reports on the progress of the Department in meeting set goals and objectives
- Lead the team focusing on culture, tourism and community development initiatives
- Create and maintain relationships with appropriate private, public and non-profit sector organizations to enhance cultural, social, economic, and tourism development.
- Ensure that strict adherence to the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies are maintained
- Maintain confidentiality and protect the privacy of the internal operations and activities of the Band
- Participation in the senior management team of the Band
- Other duties as identified by the employer
- Identify and take a lead role in creating new opportunities
- Create and maintain relationships with various funding sources
- Identify and pursue appropriate funding opportunities that match Band objectives
- Create annual funding requests to funding agencies to support programming
Education: Educational requirements will be a bachelor's degree or higher in a related field, or a combination of training and specific employment experience suitable for the position.
Experience: The Director of Culture, Tourism & Community Development will have a combination of experience in community economic development, culture, and tourism related activities. The Director must have previous team leadership responsibilities in a fast paced and demanding environment. The Director will have three years of experience working at a management level within a fast paced and demanding organization. Candidates having an equivalent combination of experience and education will also be considered.
Other qualifications will include:
- Experience with simultaneously managing multiple projects
- Experience in leading a team of employees
- Specific knowledge and understanding of economic and social development issues facing aboriginal communities and populations
- Experience with financial management and human resource management
- Experience in effective reporting of key data
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and organizational skills
Working Conditions: This position is office based. The duties are predominantly met during regular business hours. Some overtime work and travel will be required at specific times throughout the year.
If you are interested in this position, please apply with resume, covering letter, and three professional references using one of the options listed below. Submissions should be addressed to:
Mrs. Janet McAuley, Human Resources Manager
Qalipu Mi'kmaq First Nation
3 Church Street
Corner Brook, NL A2H 2Z4
To Apply, please use one of the options listed below:
Electronically: apply by email using MS Word to: email@example.com subject line "Director CTCD"
Deadline for receipt of Cover Letter and Resume: Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:00 pm.
Please note: Post-Secondary Education and Training Diplomas/certificates and a Code of Conduct are required.
QFN is an equal opportunity employer, in situations where candidates have equal credentials, preference will be given to aboriginal candidates. If you are a member of Qalipu First Nation please indicate it in your cover letter.