New job Deputy Clerk/Manager, Council & Administrative Services in Ontario
Deputy Clerk/Manager, Council & Administrative Services
Company : Region of Waterloo
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Ontario
Manages the preparation and processing of official meeting documents and official records of Council, Committees of Council, Advisory Committees, Boards, and Foundations. Manages processing of by-laws and amendments. Develops and recommends policies and procedures to support legislative requirements and municipal governance. Supports the Regional Clerk in performing all statutory and by-law delegated responsibilities, managing municipal elections, and acts in official capacity of the Regional Clerk as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
Knowledge of municipal government organizational, political, and legislative requirements, roles, and responsibilities to manage services, policy processes, and matters of legislative compliance with elected and appointed officials, normally acquired through a related degree with (or pursuing) accreditation through the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks, and Treasurers of Ontario (AMCTO), plus progressively responsible related experience.
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, collective agreements, and related legislation (e.g., Municipal Act, Municipal Elections Act, information and privacy).
- Ability to maneuver through complex political situations effectively and balance corporate and organizational responsibilities. Ability to anticipate and understand political questions, concerns, and discourse, and be agile in planning alternative approaches to resolve concerns.
- Analytical, problem solving, and continuous improvement skills to plan and develop Section objectives/goals, including administrative, technical, operational, and financial components; assess Council/Committee agendas and schedule for efficiency; coordinate and classify work; and select staff to achieve goals and objectives.
- Ability to handle sensitive material with confidentiality and discretion.
- Leadership, negotiation, human relations, political acuity, and communication skills to manage, develop, train, motivate and support staff; provide information regarding municipal/regional government structure, procedures, policies, and by-laws to Councillors, the public, area municipal and Ministry staff; present reports to Council and Committees; conduct training and presentations for senior leaders, committees, and the public; and participate as an effective team member.
- Ability to write, proof, and edit minutes, agendas, reports and correspondence, and record resolutions, decisions, and public/legal notices. Ability to distill complex information and make on- the-spot decisions related to Council.
- Computer skills with ability to use software such as Microsoft Office, and voting and speaker queue technology.
- Ability to alter hours to attend evening meetings as required.
- Ability to travel within Waterloo Region.
- Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date May 09, 2021 quoting competition number 2021-1355.