New Job Operator 2, Heavy Equipment In Yukon
Operator 2, Heavy Equipment
Company : City of Whitehorse
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Job posting closes: Monday, November 8, 2021 at 5:00 pm (Yukon Time)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Heavy Equipment Operator 2
Job Code: 058
Department: Fleet and Transportation Maintenance
The incumbent operates heavy equipment in a safe manner for the maintenance and construction of public roads, landfill and utility activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates heavy equipment in the maintenance and construction of public roads, landfills and utility activities.
- Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Maintains public roads in accordance with acceptable standards for safe use by the general public. Maintenance activities are completed around electrical, communications and roadway hazards.
- Perform pre and post trip and maintenance checks, maintains equipment to acceptable standards, troubleshoots equipment problems, assists with minor repairs and completes log books.
- Ensure heavy equipment is securely and appropriately stored.
- Report maintenance requirements to the Equipment Maintenance Department.
- Completes accident and/or other reports as required, related to any incidences occurring during the shift.
- Assist in training and provide direction and guidance to Heavy Equipment Operator level 1.
- Act as Heavy Equipment Operator 3, if qualified.
- Other related duties.
Four 10 hour shifts per week Sunday to Saturday between 0700 and 0700. Exposure to dust/dirt, road conditions, high traffic areas (vehicle, pedestrian, cyclist), fumes/odours, bodily fluids/waste, temperature extreme, inclement weather, noise requiring hearing protection when performing duties. Heavy lifting over 25 kgs. is a regular requirement.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Grade 10.
- Valid Class 1 driver’s license with air endorsement.
- 4 years heavy equipment operator experience plus 6 months on the job training.
- Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR Level C.
- Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with the public and providing assistance in a variety of situations.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods.
Additional certification required within one and a half years of employment includes but not limited to:
WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG), Traffic Control Course, Hazard Assessment and Control, Confined Space Entry, Electrical Safety Course; etc.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
A variety of heavy equipment and accessory equipment including but not limited to: loader with attachments, snow blower, small backhoe, tractor trailer, rubber tire backhoe, dump truck (including sanders, hauling snow, underbody plows, etc.); asphalt spreader, pot hole patcher, flusher truck, vibratory roller, mobile sweeper, 1 ton truck, trailers, 3 ton vibratory rollers, skid steer loader(bobcat), tar kettle, jackhammer, cut-off saw, chainsaw, tamper, pull broom, pavemaster roller, and cement mixer, water pumps, generators, hand and power tools, electric winch crane, fork lift, diesel compressors, diesel and gas vibratory compactors, rental equipment, ride on sweeper, tool cat, line painting equipment, tree chipping, water and metal detectors, winch/tripod harness, communications equipment and computer applications such as Outlook, Word & ERP.
This position is also required to complete all duties and responsibilities and operate all equipment included in the HEO 1 and Transportation Labourer positions.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/human-resources/how-to-apply. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at [email protected].
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations