New job Legal Affairs Co-op/Internship (Winter 2022) in British Columbia
Legal Affairs Co-op/Internship (Winter 2022)
Company : BC IMC
Salary : Details not provided
Location : British Columbia
Are you a law student with a love of corporate law? Do you want to spend your term with a group of M&A and corporate practitioners inside the largest investment house in the province located in beautiful British Columbia? The British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) is currently seeking a law co-op student/intern for the Winter 2022 work term (January to April) to work with our Legal Affairs Department.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
BCI manages a globally diversified portfolio of assets valued at $199.6 billion and is one of Canada’s largest institutional investors. We invest globally to support pension and other funds for more than 30 clients based in British Columbia. We are proud to have been chosen as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and BC’s Top Employers. These national and provincial competitions recognize employers who offer exceptional workplaces for their employees.
The Legal co-op/intern will work within our Legal Affairs department. This is a great opportunity for you to learn and apply your knowledge to a variety of corporate legal issues that arise at BCI.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
You will work with the Legal Affairs team (14 lawyers, 4 paralegals, 5 support staff) in BCI’s Legal Affairs Department. The Legal Affairs Department provides in-house legal expertise and support to the Board, management, and all departments within BCI. Legal Affairs works closely with management and the various departments of BCI, providing legal guidance and protecting BCI’s interests.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
You will assist the legal team with a corporate law practice focused on investment agreements, particularly contract review of existing and proposed investments in global infrastructure, renewable resources and private equity funds as well as private and public companies. You will also assist the team with corporate and commercial law matters, such as review of commercial agreements. Your work will include researching, summarizing and presenting legal materials on global investments such as governance term sheets, shareholder agreements, investment agreements, limited partnership agreements and supporting investment documents. Your work will also include researching, summarizing and presenting legal materials that will support corporate decision making. You will also assist in building best in class precedents and completing ad hoc work and special projects assigned by the team.
THE IDEAL STUDENT
- Has a keen interest in corporate & securities law, commercial law and/or M&A
- Is detail-oriented, accurate, conscientious and focused
- Has first rate writing skills
- Possesses a strong work ethic, initiative, perseverance and grit to get the job done
- Participates in or leads a business focused student law club
- Is enrolled at a Canadian law school
- Has previous work experience in a business or corporate setting (not necessarily in a legal capacity)
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills
- Is committed to the highest ethical standards
- Demonstrates an eagerness to learn coupled with the ability to fail and recover
- Has strong research skills combined with analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Has technology skills including the ability to use effectively use Word, Outlook, etc.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Excellent career development and training that enhances your marketability for obtaining articles
- Work with a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment
- The development of real-world skills at one of the largest institutional investors in Canada
- Exposure to talented, approachable, and inspiring people in the legal industry who can mentor and teach you the real-world skills you need as a corporate lawyer
- Time to connect with co-op students & interns at BCI – build your network and shared learning
- Work term: Winter 2022 (January to April)
- Department: Legal Affairs
- Office Location: 750 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC
- Spend your off hours exploring beautiful Victoria and Vancouver Island
- Travel: if coming to Victoria for this work term, BCI will provide a fixed-rate travel allowance based on your location
- We look forward to welcoming our co-ops & interns to our office location(s) for the January work term. In the event our offices remain partially closed due to COVID-19, co-op/internship work terms may be completed remotely (within Canada).
HOW TO APPLY
Apply directly to the Legal Co-op/Internship posting on our careers page https://careers.bci.ca/res_joblist.html
Application deadline: October 7, 2021 at 9:00 pm PT
Please include a cover letter, resume, and transcripts (unofficial transcript will suffice)
Note: The ability to legally work full-time in Canada for the duration of your work term is a condition of employment at BCI