New job Laboratory Technician (Full-time) in British Columbia
Laboratory Technician (Full-time)
Company : School District 91
Salary : $28.74 an hour
Location : British Columbia
ECE, EA and Support Staff
Recognized for its diversity, dedication to inclusion, and strong partnerships with the community, the Richmond School District is among one of the largest districts in British Columbia with some of the highest graduation rates in the province. With a long history of providing high quality experiences for students, the Richmond School District strives to be “The Best Place to Learn and Lead.”
Richmond School District operates 38 elementary schools, 10 secondary schools, alternate programs, continuing education and a number of additional facilities. The district enrolls approximately 21,000 students (K-12) and employs over 3000 dedicated staff.
As an employer, we provide comprehensive growth, learning and engagement opportunities to the 2,300 committed professionals across the district. This position provides laboratory technical support to the school science department by preparing, setting up and testing laboratory demonstrations and experiments. The incumbent ensures the chemical storage facility is set up and maintained according to appropriate safety regulations, and that laboratory equipment and other materials are maintained in a clean and operational order. This is a full-time 35 hour/week posting and is under the supervision of the School Administrator. Laboratory assignments are received from Teachers and work is carried out with minimal direction.
Major Duties and responsibilities
(this is not an exhaustive list of the duties to be performed)
- Sets up materials, chemicals and equipment for laboratory demonstrations. Sets up experiments by measuring, mixing and labelling chemicals, preparing chemical solutions and specimens for a variety of science classes.
- Ensures proper identification, storage and disposal of chemicals and solutions according to appropriate safety guidelines.
- Performs minor maintenance and repairs on science lab equipment such as cleaning, making adjustments and sending equipment out for service and repair.
- Assembles, cleans, sterilizes and stores specialized glassware and instruments.
- May provide assistance to Teachers during demonstrations or help monitor class experiments for safety purposes.
- Requisitions and cares for live specimens as required by the Science Department.
- Maintains familiarity with District and Government health and safety procedures and regulations that relate to the work performed and ensures compliance with WHMIS regulations within various science laboratories.
- Grade 12 plus a Laboratory Technician diploma from a recognized institution.
- One year experience in a chemical laboratory environment.
- Extensive knowledge of safe chemical storage methods and standards.
This position is in the bargaining unit, with an hourly rate of pay of $28.74 plus a benefit package of medical, extended health, dental and a pension plan.
For more information about Richmond School District 38, please visit www.makeafuture.ca/richmond or our website at www.sd38.bc.ca. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Richmond School District is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Our ability to provide the best education for our student population relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The Richmond School District is the best place to learn and lead.