New job Inspector (Specialist) 4 in Nova Scotia
Inspector (Specialist) 4
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $5,438 - $6,319 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 10/18/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services, we impact every citizen, business and municipality in Nova Scotia. Our mission is to design and deliver programs and services to meet the needs of our clients and the public good through a culture of excellence. Our vision is to be a recognized leader in service and public protection that delivers trusted, accessible, modern programs, and contributes to Nova Scotia as a safe and desirable place to live, work and do business.
About Our Opportunity
As Coordinator (Inspector, Specialist 4), you provide leadership and expertise to ensure success of complex and dynamic compliance and inspection programs. You are responsible for developing, planning and monitoring the delivery and effectiveness of the department’s compliance and inspection program in relation to the overall compliance framework. This includes setting requirements, monitoring compliance, and verifying compliance and enforcing requirements. Ensuring policies and procedures are developed using best practices and processes and reflective of needs and alignment with legislative requirements is also an important element of this role. You are also responsible for evaluating policy and procedures to ensure consistent implementation of standard operating procedures for compliance, inspection and enforcement activities. Serving as an expert resource to a province-wide team of inspectors and investigators is also a key responsibility.
Other responsibilities include:
- playing an integral role in the development of quality system management tools and protocols including rigorous evaluation and analysis and audits of investigations, inspections and case management documentation;
- monitoring decisions made by both internal and external stakeholders that impact the compliance and inspection processes to incorporate into operational plans;
- providing recommendations and advice to the Division management team;
- supporting the implementation of a training program for Officers and Investigators including new officer training, refresher training and mentoring; and
- participating in and coordinating large complex investigations.
To be considered for this position you have completed a related trade or technical training in the area of specialty, and in addition you hold 8 years of related experience (after course completion); or an equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
You also possess the following:
- experience with legal processes, as well as policy and operational procedure development;
- experience in the development and deployment of quality management systems, practices and tools;
- the ability to leverage analytical tools to develop recommendations and reports to management;
- the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment; and
- the ability to utilize strategic thinking to implement innovative solutions.
The following would be viewed as assets: knowledge of adult learning concepts, experience working with process improvement tools (Lean, Green Belt, etc.) and experience with Moodle, Articulate 360 or similar
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
This position is based in Dartmouth. A valid driver’s license is required for occasional travel within the province.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: TE 29
Salary Range: $2,718.98 - $3,159.34 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].