New job Head Brewer in Nova Scotia
Company : Saltbox Brewing Company
Salary : $40,000 a year
Location : Nova Scotia
Saltbox Brewery is located in beautiful Mahone Bay Nova Scotia a thriving tourist town within a 45 minute drive of Halifax. Celebrating two years of operation and continued growth, we find ourselves in need of a Head Brewer.
Saltbox operates a 10BBL brewhouse, a barrel aging program and a SABCO system for experimental brews. We produce beer, cider and RTD products and you would be responsible for managing the production of all of these. Our products are featured throughout NS, in the NSLC, several private beer stores and restaurants and pubs. Our primary location is in Mahone Bay, but we also operate King Street Beer in Bridgewater and Lightship Brewery in Lunenburg.
As Head Brewer you will lead recipe formulation, yeast management, ordering supplies, coordinating distribution, etc. This position offers exciting work and growth opportunity to a passionate brewer.
The Head Brewer will be responsible for:
- Oversee all areas of brewing, including quality control processes and therefore will be well versed in scheduling, brewing, cellaring and packaging operations.
- Keep detailed notes and logs.
- Research, develop and test new recipes, creating award winning Saltbox beers.
- Perform quality tests using pH meters, spectrophotometer, and other tools.
- Manage raw materials, inventory control, scheduling and supplier contracts.
- Sanitary sampling, yeast cell counts and record keeping of all beers produced.
- All cellar operations including DE filtration, tank transfer, sanitation procedures.
- Equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Coordinating operations with Packaging, Maintenance, QC and Shipping departments.
- Strong verbal communication and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Hands-on leadership skills for developing and training a team.
- Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem solving skills and to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
- Assist with client and vendor relationships.
- Participation in events, festivals, promotions, etc, as well as educating and preparing our team for these events.
- Develop barrel filling plan, working with Marketing and Operations to ensure the beer is available when it is needed.
- Schedule and perform racking of beer out of barrels.
- Arranging for monthly taste panels to determine above schedules.
- Maintain inventory of barrel parts and equipment. Assess equipment purchases and major expenditures to maximize benefit; seek appropriate level approval(s).
- Guarantee a safe working environment for employees by maintaining the facility and equipment in an optimal working environment and enforces adherence to safe work practices.
- Maintain master list of pilot brewed beers, with brewing results, tasting results, and next steps/recommendations.
- Maintain inventory of kegs of pilot brews
- Maintain inventory of pilot brewing ingredients including:
o Having an accurate supply list so recipes can be formulated using available ingredients
o Dispose of ingredients past their lifecycle
o Order new ingredients, hop varieties, malt types, yeast strains as desired and/or as directed.
o Maintain good storage practices for all pilot ingredients
o Keep an interesting and diverse supply of ingredients.
- Train brewers to brew on pilot system
- Maintain an electronic brew log of every pilot beer
- Overall goal is to produce the highest quality beer as possible with regards to consistency and taste.
- Oversee the Brewery’s quality program and practices.
- With the Operations Manager, develop and review quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods. Also, ensure compliance standards are consistently met or exceeded.
- Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to, improved upon where applicable and trained to for new hires/transfers.
· Work with Finance to review appropriate financial statements, sales and activity reports and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement.
· Identify and rectify areas for cost reduction and program improvement.
· Establish key metrics and then develop & implement plans to achieve production goals, always keeping profitability as a priority.
· Evaluate operating results throughout the brewery to ensure that beer growth objectives are being met and makes sure that key metrics are communicated to the team.
· Ensure team members have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely.
· Support Company events (local or regional) as required; assist Sales Team as needed
· Be a champion for the Company in the brewing community.
· Other duties as assigned.
Expected start date: 2021-11-01
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $40,000.00 per year
- Bonus pay
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday