New job Casual Labourer in Manitoba
Company : City of Selkirk
Salary : $14.78 an hour
Location : Manitoba
Position Title: Casual Labourers
Competition No: 2021-33
Department: Culture, Recreation, & Green Transportation
Located 20 minutes from Winnipeg, Selkirk is a vibrant small city with a hometown feel. Our close-knit community loves to celebrate, learn and explore in the company of good neighbours. All through the year, there are many opportunities to enjoy local talent, learn about our past and seek out new interests. The City of Selkirk is currently in search of a Casual Labourer to join our team. The individual will perform general labour and custodial duties related to the operation and maintenance of Parks and Recreation facilities.
YOUR JOB DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
1. Carry out the labour and custodial duties within arenas, halls and other recreational facilities.
2. Carry out labour duties within all public parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, municipal building grounds, and other green spaces.
3. Operate safely a variety of hand tools and small equipment such as weed trimmers, push mowers, roto tillers and other equipment of a like nature.
4. Perform pre-trip inspections, routine checks, minor servicing, cleaning and basic maintenance of the equipment they are operating.
5. Inform the Manager or Mechanic of any required significant maintenance or safety problems of small equipment they are operating.
6. In the course of carrying out daily tasks, the Labourer must practice established safety rules and regulations for the protection of self, fellow employees, the public and property, or equipment operated, by being continuously aware of existing and new safety procedures of the department.
7. Operate competently pick-up trucks with or without attached trailers for the purpose of transporting material as required by the Division.
8. Establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contracts, and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Policy.
9. Provide support services with the City of Selkirk Emergency Plan in the event of an emergency as required.
10. Provide support and training to other employees as required.
11. To perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Education, Knowledge and Experience
Minimum Requirements shall include:
- Grade 12 education or General Education Development (G.E.D.)
- Valid WHMIS Certification
- Valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver's Licence
- Considerable skill in the operation of designated equipment and hand tools including but not limited to the following: weed trimmers, push & riding mowers, rotor tillers, etc.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. This includes the ability to understand written and verbal instructions
- Demonstrated ability to operate competently a pick-up truck with an attached trailer
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Demonstrated competency is safe work practices, knowledge and understanding of occupational hazards, safety precautions, regulations and procedures that are applicable to the area of work
- Must be able to work in a parks environment which includes extreme weather conditions
- Must be able to work evening and weekend shifts and/or overtime as required
- Must be physically able to perform all the labouring aspects or other duties associated with the position
This is for more than one casual labourer position. This opportunity is open to all applicants. This casual position is applicable to union dues but is not entitled to any benefits or entitlement under the Collective Agreement except for Article 24. Interested individuals are to specify position being applied for and attach their resume/application listing how they meet the minimum qualifications/requirements of position.
Employees will be required to adhere to future Vaccination Policy.
The City of Selkirk is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Applicants who require accommodation during the hiring process are encouraged to contact the City’s Human Resources Division.
Thank you to all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $14.78 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability