New job Supervisor, Nutrition Services in Manitoba
Supervisor, Nutrition Services
Company : Prairie Mountain Health
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
- Grade 12 education (MB Standards)
- Completion of a relevant leadership or supervision certificate based program or equivalent education
- Completion of Dietary Level II or recognized institutional or quantity cooking course or Journeyperson Cook certification
- Current Food Handler Training Certificate Level 1 or willing to obtain within six (6) months
- Two (2) years (minimum 4030 hours) health care food service or institutional cooking experience
- Province of Manitoba Class 5 Drivers License, and access to a personal vehicle to provide service within Prairie Mountain Health
- Required proficiency in computing skills, including Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and internet applications
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial ability
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and clients
- Demonstrated dexterity, speed and efficient work methods
- Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to work independently
- Demonstrated communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility to facilitate changes in techniques and procedures
- Ability to display independent judgment
- Ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population
- Ability to respect and promote confidentiality
- Ability to perform the duties of the position on a regular basis
The Nutrition Services Supervisor, acting as a member of a multidisciplinary team, functions under the vision, mission, values and strategic priorities of Prairie Mountain Health. As point of first contact, the Nutrition Services Supervisor plans, organizes, coordinates and evaluates the operation of the department related to Nutrition Services at the facility level. These include participation in human resource management, fiscal management, information management, and environmental services management on a day to day basis. The Supervisor of Nutrition Services is responsible for personal professional development, and promotes ongoing staff development, and team building.
The Nutrition Services Supervisor is responsible for performing the following activities according to related policies and procedures and any government regulations and legislation: all aspects of food service production and distribution to related areas with emphasis on portion control, waste control, proper sanitation and safety. The Nutrition Services Supervisor prepares all food according to menu and therapeutic specifications; monitors and ensures food is served at optimal temperatures and leftovers are properly used according to established regulations and policies.
- Ensures staff is scheduled on a daily basis in accordance with baseline budget and applicable overtime procedures.
- Assists in the effective and efficient provision of staff resources to meet department needs.
- Applies the appropriate Human Resources staffing procedures to ensure the department is adequately staffed and takes action to mitigate vacancies.
- Ensures the availability of competent and proficient staff necessary to provide and support the highest quality of work possible within existing resources.
- Assists in administering annual vacation procedures.
- Approves shifts swaps.
- Coordinates and organizes staff meetings as required.
- Provides reports, justifications and incident reports as required.
- Participates in the application of the Attendance Support and Assistance Program.
- Participates in the application of the performance appraisal process.
- Implements audits related to the areas of responsibility and shares results with staff, applicable Regional Manager, Area Manager, Manager and other relevant stakeholders.
- Assists in the achievement and maintenance of standards in accordance with overall professional and facility/regional standards.
- In collaboration with the service team, identifies and recommends actions that will operationally improve the Nutrition Services Department.
- Participates in the development and review of Nutrition Services Department policies and procedures.
- Assists staff to maintain expertise as new methods and techniques are developed and introduced, as based on research findings.
- Ensures documentation is complete and is consistent with facility/regional policy.
- Reviews monthly financial reports, as required.
- In consultation with the Regional Manager, Nutrition Services and/or Manager, Nutrition Services approves expenditures for the departments.
- With the assistance of staff, identifies departmental areas of unnecessary expenditure in supplies and services, participates in the development and implements methods to reduce and/or reallocate same.
- Ensures sufficient equipment for the department and makes recommendations for purchasing new and/or replacement equipment.
- Participates in the planning of renovations.
- Ensures appropriate security and use of supplies.
- Responsible for purchasing, receiving, checking and storage of food and supplies as required. Responsible for reporting damaged or missing goods.
- Ensures familiarity with all diets, the use of reference materials, and technical terms used in Nutrition Services.
- Prepares all food in accordance with production schedules, standard recipes, quality standards (taste, texture, presentation and appearance) and portion control guidelines.
- Prepares all food items as required for special and catered functions and other departmental programs (e.g. Meals on Wheels, Adult Day Program).
- Completes preparations for all therapeutic or texture-modified foods required.
- Adheres to the approved menu and therapeutic guidelines regarding the preparation and serving of therapeutic and/or texture-modified diets.
- Makes necessary changes to the client menus as directed in consultation with the Manager, Nutrition Services or Registered Dietitian.
- Monitors and records temperature of foods through storage, preparation and service to ensure established temperature goals are achieved or exceeded.
- Maintains safe and healthy food preparation environment through compliance with “Food Safety Code of Practice” standards.
- Ensures appropriate labeling, dating and storing or discarding of left overs, including hazardous food sample maintenance.
- Assists with planning, organizing and evaluating menu items.
- Ensures all relevant equipment is clean and operating efficiently.
- Assists with inventory procedures.
- Participates in orientation, training and mentoring of new employees and students.
- Reports Maintenance needs, accidents, injuries, security issues and unsafe work conditions to the Supervisor or Manager. Completes all necessary documentation.
- Complies with all regional and departmental policies and procedures.
- Sundry duties as assigned.
If you are currently employed by PMH, please utilize the internal application form. If you are not employed by PMH, please utilize the external application form.
In order to be considered for the position, both internal and external applicants must submit a current resume with their application form.
If you are an external applicant, please include three work related references with this application. They must be from persons who are not related to you, and who have direct knowledge of your past work performance.
Upon being considered for employment, your signature or electronic submission of this application is your authorization to complete said reference checks.
PMH has an Aboriginal Human Resources initiative and is committed to increasing the representation of Aboriginal people within all levels of our workforce. Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to voluntarily self identify as being of Aboriginal descent in their cover letter and/or within their application form.
We thank all applicants that apply but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS FOR ALL