New job Settlement Advisor (Digital Navigator) in Ontario
Settlement Advisor (Digital Navigator)
Company : YMCA of Southwestern Ontario
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Ontario
Why the Y?
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to the development of healthy communities. Our
locations, programs and services are designed to help our members and participants grow in spirit, mind
and body and are open to people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and abilities.
At the YMCA
you will feel connected to community, when your work positively influences the lives of others in so many ways.
- you will meet new people, while working at one of the most respected human services organizations in
- you will expand your knowledge base, where you can flourish in values-based environment.
- you will have career development opportunities where you build a better future for yourself and others.
- you will experience a rewarding job by helping support the building of healthy communities.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is a multi service, non-profit values-based charity that serves Windsor-
Essex, Sarnia-Lambton, Chatham-Kent, London, Middlesex-Elgin, Huron-Perth, and Oxford counties. Our
services include: Childcare Services, school age programs, camp programs, health and fitness branches,
community programs and newcomer services across the region. Our commitment includes a special focus
on the region’s children and youth. From the kids in our camps and those participating in soccer and
swimming lessons, to youth who are new to our communities from around the world, the Y is committed
to helping our next generation to grow and thrive, as healthy individuals and passionate future leaders.
Y not join the thousands of members, employees and volunteers and share our vision of a healthy
As we continue to grow, we have a need for the following position:
Position/Term: Settlement Advisor (Digital Navigator) Arabic Speaking– F/T Contact
Location: YMCA North London Education Centre (207 – 735 Wonderland Road N., London ON), YMCA Wortley
Education Centre (65 Elmwood Avenue East, London ON) and other YMCA London Newcomer Services Locations as
Start Date: October 18, 2021
End Date: March 31, 2024
Qualifications & Experience:
- Post Secondary Degree or Diploma in a related Human Services, Counselling, or Education discipline
- Minimum 1 year experience in Settlement Counseling and/or solution based counselling
- Knowledge of Immigration Law, and government funded/ community programs (i.e. Ontario Works, Legal
- A Canadian teaching certificate of authorization issued by a provincial institution or a provincial ministry is
- Fluency in an additional language in at least one common newcomer language, i.e. Arabic, Mandarin,
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Windows, Google Apps for Education, Internet,
- Proficiency in using online digital platforms such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom or Google Meet; required to
- Familiar with utilizing a database to document service recordings.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated understanding and sensitivity towards the challenges facing newcomers
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Proven ability to understand and interpret complex documentation, applications, etc.
- Highly developed research skills
- Comfortable and effective communicating in group situations and delivering effective and engaging
- An ability to break down complex tasks into a series of simple steps
- Previous experience working within the Settlement Sector (an asset)
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Check as per the Association’s policy
- A YMCA personal membership at our health and fitness branches
- A discount on our Childcare and Camp programs
- Vacation entitlement in accordance with the employment standards regulations
- May be entitled to up to 12 paid personal days – applicable with position and contract length
- Benefits package - applicable with position and contract length
- To Be Determined
- YMCA of Southwestern Ontario policy and procedures.
- Act as a YMCA ambassador, demonstrating YMCA core values in your daily work.
- Determines client eligibility for services and reviews appropriate documentation
- Provides information and referrals to newcomers in order to meet immediate everyday needs including
access because of their lack of digital literacy.
- Assists clients one on one in setting realistic goals, priorities and the development of action items with
- Refers newcomers to appropriate internal and external programs and resources to support the development
- Implements accepted settlement counseling practices and procedures including accurate documentation,
- Advocates on clients’ behalf, when appropriate, with agencies, organizations and institutions
- Assists with exploration, research and the development of workshops and programs that address identified
computers, tablets, and educational software. Workshops and programs must cover introductory use of
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Windows, Google Apps for Education, Internet, and E-mail.
- Delivers group orientation and information sessions for clients that support the development of digital
instructional design by including clear objectives, instructional activities with differentiated instruction, and
assessments that are appropriate to the skill level, needs, and interests of the participants in the session.
- Supports settlement advisors and language skills instructors with the delivery of settlement and language
- Creates original resources and materials to aid in improving digital literacy skills and increasing digital access
- Designs authentic learning experiences that develop the digital knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to
- Perform other duties as assigned and in response to the changing digital world.
- Supervises and supports program volunteers as needed.
- Handles administrative and clerical duties, including back-up reception, as required.
- Provides leadership and direction in assigned projects that benefit our clients and the YMCA i.e. Strong Kids,
1. In your cover letter, specifically state the position you are applying for and location. Please include
specific information detailing how you meet the qualifications we require for this position.
2. Submit your cover letter, resume, and applicable attachments to [email protected]
by October 7, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders
including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our
premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the
requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated
standards and regulations.
Want to know more about us, visit us at: https://www.ymcaswo.ca/