New job Manager, Business Licensing & Registration in Nova Scotia
Manager, Business Licensing & Registration
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $6,124 - $7,673 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Term
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 10/15/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
As public servants, we work with Nova Scotians to build a stronger province, where benefits are achieved through coordinated action; discipline and fiscal sustainability.
Our government’s priorities of safe and connected communities, healthy population, quality education and inclusive economic growth continue to keep us focused. These can only be achieved through a diverse workforce, with innovative ideas and approaches that help us to reduce regulatory burden on business and deliver operational and service excellence.
To do this, we need leaders at all levels of the organization who embrace a challenge and believe in our collective ability to make a difference.
Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services (SNS-IS) helps citizens, businesses and municipalities across Nova Scotia access a variety of government programs and services. We also support the public sector as it delivers the programs and services that Nova Scotians rely upon by providing corporate, information and technology services to government; processing financial transactions; auditing government operations; collecting and sharing geographic data; managing major purchases; and helping public sector bodies administer freedom of information and privacy laws.
We continuously strive to make our programs and services more responsive to the needs and expectations of those we serve. SNS-IS is leading the Government’s efforts to improve business operational and service performances.
About Our Opportunity
As the Manager, Business Licensing and Compliance you are responsible for the management and daily operations of the Business Licensing and Compliance team. The team is responsible for a varied and complex licensing, inspection, and enforcement regime under multiple types of business programs with both corporate and individual licenses.
The Manager is responsible for implementing program, legislative, and business process changes including strategic planning and project management. The Manager is also responsible for enforcement and the inspection of regulated industries.
This position will hold the appointments of Deputy Registrar of Funeral Services, Deputy Registrar of Credit, Deputy Registrar of Direct Sellers, Deputy Registrar of Collections, Deputy Registrar of Mortgage and will act as Registrar if the absence of the official Registrar.
- Ensure oversight of service delivery standards, requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Communicate with external clients such as business stakeholder groups and consumer groups.
- Provide expertise and in-depth knowledge of legislation and regulations for all programs.
- Liaise with stakeholders, licensees and the inspection team to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Lead program modernization projects to make it easier for businesses to comply with government regulations, enhance consumer protection and improve operational effectiveness.
- Continuously encourage a positive team environment by effective coaching and mentoring.
- Deliver communications to ensure employees are informed about business plans and ongoing changes.
- Collect feedback from employees to address issues and concerns.
- Set performance standards and evaluate team performance. Assist team members to meet objectives by providing feedback and support.
Qualifications and Experience
As the ideal candidate, you have extensive experience in successfully delivering complex operational initiatives and outstanding service to clients and stakeholders. You are a seasoned leader in people management, development, coaching, and mentoring. You consider obstacles and challenges as opportunities and you inspire and influence your team by example.
Mandatory requirements and experience:
- Post-secondary degree with five years of progressive experience in a related field. A Master’s degree will be considered an asset.
- Over 5 years experience of leading teams in a fast paced and varied operational environment.
- Effective communication skills to develop and maintain internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Analytical skills, business acumen and the ability to effectively manage in a regulatory environment.
- Demonstrated competence to master subject matter expertise and make decisions required to implement program, legislative, and business process changes.
- A strong background in operational finance will be considered an asset.
The manager should have experience leading change initiatives relating to program modernization and leveraging technology to find efficiencies.
For this position we want candidates who value collaboration, have a strong strategic orientation, are analytical and conceptual thinkers who are adaptable to change.
The manager will have frequent contact with legal, financial, and business community members, as well as the public conducting business within our regulated industries.
Leadership competencies required at this level of work:
Analytical Thinking, Action Management, Team Leadership, Initiative, Effective Interactive Communication, Partnering and Relationship Building, and Intercultural and Diversity Proficiency.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
- There is frequent pressure from changing deadlines, multiple stakeholders, and conflicting demands.
- Several times each day there will be a need to concentrate or to distinguish or interpret a variety of sensory inputs.
- There may also be interaction with the general public and potentially challenging human resource situations.
Please note, this is expected to be a term status position with an end date of August 23, 2023.
Note: This is a reposting. If you have previously applied to competition 31256 your application has been noted and you do not need to reapply
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: EC 11
Salary Range: $3,062.13 - $3,836.49 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].