New job Forest Area Manager in Alberta
Forest Area Manager
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $8,076 - $10,255 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 16648
Ministry: Agriculture & Forestry
Location: Fort McMurray
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: September 30, 2021
Classification: Management Senior Manager Zone 2
Reporting to the Executive, Director of Forest Field Operations Branch, and the Forest Area Manager oversees the implementation and delivery of the division’s wildfire management, forest health and forest management programs in their respective Forest Area.
Responsibilities include setting the strategic direction, priority setting, developing the organization structure, managing the budget and effectively managing the operations of the Forest Area. The Forest Area Manager directs wildfire suppression activities, implements Wildfire Prevention programs, ensures development and implementation of FireSmart programs, and acts as a vital contact for various industry stakeholders, including Indigenous communities and municipalities.
This position ensures staff skills and experiences are enhanced while working to achieve the department's business plan goals and strategic objectives, working closely with Environment and Parks Executive Director and Managers of Operational Services for budget, finance, Geospatial and other administrative support.
The minimum requirements for this role are a related university degree plus four years related experience OR a diploma in Forestry plus six years related experience.
Applicants must be eligible for registration with the Alberta Forest Management Professionals.
Preference will be given to those applicants who have experience with;
- Leadership and supervisory experience
- Budgeting and budgetary control
- Comprehensive knowledge of wildfire, forest management and forest health programs
- Provincial legislation including Forest and Prairie Protection Act, Forest Acts and Timber Management Regulations, Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Regulated Forestry Profession Act, Public Lands Act, and Public Lands Administration Regulation
Equivalencies may be considered for this role on a one year education for one year experience or one year experience for year education.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
Competencies for this role are:
- Systems Thinking to analyze and set standards for provincial highway maintenance needs.
- Creative Problem Solving to balance risk, innovation and the need for departmental control of highway maintenance contracts.
- Build Collaborative Environments to foster consensus and align different groups to achieve objectives.
- Develop Networks to engage and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
$4,037.95 to $5,127.61 bi-weekly ($105,390 to $133,830 yearly)
This role is a permanent, full time position with the standard weekly work hours as 36.25, Monday to Friday.
What We Offer:
- Comprehensive benefits plan:
- Pension plan:
- PSPP -
- MEPP -
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Tips for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, please contact Eunice Mingollo, TAS Administrator at [email protected]. If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check