New job Detention Guard - RCMP Detachment Mayo in Yukon
Detention Guard - RCMP Detachment Mayo
Company : Commissionaires Victoria
Salary : $23.87 an hour
Location : Yukon
A CAREER YOU CAN COUNT ON
Do you take pride in keeping people and property safe? Are you able to work a variety of shifts if needed? Then you could be one of our superstars!
As one of the top security company's in Canada, we frequently promote from within, and we are always on the lookout for responsible, top performers who want to advance their careers. Our reputation is built by our 20,000+ security professionals - with varied backgrounds, including responsible citizens, students, seniors, ex police and military—of all ages.
Our security professionals keep airports, schools, government facilities and many other commercial enterprises safe. We also work with police departments and municipalities to provide assistance in keeping Canadians safe. Reach your full potential today!
Location: Mayo - Yukon Territory (RCMP Detachment)
Reports to: Client Service Manager
Wage: $23.87/hr ($23.29/hr + 2.5% RRSP cash)
Shift Times: On-Call/Casual Backup - Anytime
Under the direction of the RCMP Member responsible for Cell Block Operations, the Detention Guard is
primarily responsible to monitor the safety and well-being of persons in custody and perform other
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observe and check prisoners frequently and irregularly, this may include the use of Closed- Circuit Television (CCTV).
- Assist RCMP member(s) when required to search prisoners (training provided) Note: Physical handling of prisoners is not a job requirement for Detention Guards; any movement of prisoners will be conducted by the RCMP.
- Organize meals, record prisoner activity, and maintain a prisoner activity logbook.
- Monitor prisoners while in hospital (when required).
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of cells when vacated or arrange janitor assistance.
- Record and report any damages or repairs to cells.
- Conduct search of cells prior to occupation and when cells are vacated.
- Maintain cellblock security by ensuring cell doors are locked at all times.
- Ensure cellblock keys are tagged and stored safely.
- Ensure all personal effects removed from prisoners are properly secured.
- Monitor fire safety and be fully conversant with fire orders.
- Handle and dispense laundry items.
- Under the supervision of the RCMP Officer, dispense approved prescription medications to persons in custody.
- As per the RCMP Unit Supplemental Orders, monitoring prisoners to have or suspected of having suicidal tendencies.
- Perform escort duties as required for specific detachments.
- Perform other duties particular to that detachment as laid out in the Unit Supplemental Orders.
QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Valid Occupational First Aid level 1 (St John’s Ambulance OFA1 or equivalent) is a requirement. Once hired, Commissionaires will maintain your certification.
- Able to obtain RCMP Reliability and Public Works Reliability Clearance (RCMP Clearance can take 4 – 6 months to obtain).
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Vision: Visual standards are RCMP-V4 (eyeglasses permitted).
- Able to bend at the waist and climb stairs without restrictions or the use of assistive devices.
- Mobility Standards: Able to use both hands, occasionally manipulate/lift up to 20 kilograms, bend at the waist and climb stairs without restrictions or the use of assistance devices.
- Basic level computer skills.
- Ability to remain in control under trying conditions.
- Ability to be discrete.
- Work effectively with other people.
- Willingness to undergo detention guard training as required, including Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) training and refresher on a semi-annual basis.
- Ability to work independently.
- Conscientious, enthusiastic, and reliable.
- Opportunities for advancement.
- Group-life, medical & dental coverage for full-time employees.
- Free uniform and dry cleaning.
- Paid sick, vacation and personal needs time-off.
- RRSP contributions.
Commissionaires Victoria, the Islands, and Yukon proudly celebrates diversity through an inclusive work environment, and welcomes applicants from candidates of all backgrounds.