New job Community Social Worker / Child Protection Worker in Northwest Territories
Community Social Worker / Child Protection Worker
Company : Hay River Health & Social Services Authority
Salary : $45.54 - $54.39 an hour
Location : Northwest Territories
In accordance with the Northwest Territories Social Worker Profession Act, the Government of the NWT Child and Family Services Act, the Child and Family Services Standards and Procedures manual and the practices of the Hay River Health Authority, the Community Social Services Worker is responsible for providing community based Social Service Programs including: Child Protection, Social Services, and Elderly and Handicapped Services. Covering a service area of Hay River, Enterprise and Katlodeeche First Nation, all three programs focus, guide and support communities, families, children and individuals through a healing process and the development of positive, healthy life skills.
· Must be registered and hold a current Social Worker License under the Northwest Territories Social Worker Profession Act, or eligible to obtain.
· A sound knowledge of basic social work practices, theories and procedures is required, especially in the areas of assessing, interviewing, counselling and facilitating.
· The incumbent must be adept at interpreting and applying the Child and Family Services Act, the Adoption Act, the Mental Health Act and all other relevant legislation.
· Sound judgment, the ability to prioritize tasks and excellent communication skills are required.
· Sound knowledge of the following techniques is required: crisis intervention, anger diffusion, investigative interviewing and conflict intervention and resolution.
· The incumbent must be able to deal pleasantly and effectively with people of different ages and cultures, in potentially confrontational, aggressive, volatile and emotionally charged situations.
· Computer literacy skills and the ability to use word processor packages and e-mail systems are required.
· A valid Class 5 (general) Driver’s license is a necessity due to the nature of the work.
· Must have, or be eligible to receive, Statutory Appointments as a Child Protection and Adoption Worker in order to perform child protection and adoption duties of this position.
· A thorough knowledge of the community and local standards of acceptable child care.
A copy of the full job description can be found at www.hayriverhealth.ca
The forgoing knowledge, abilities and skills would most commonly be acquired through completion of a Bachelor of Social Work Degree or Social Work Diploma with three years experience, with at least one year of child protection work.
Salary: $45.54 to $54.39 per hour (Range 15)
Position Status: Full Time Indeterminate
Closing Date: Open until suitable candidate found
Competition Number: 127-20
In addition to an attractive salary, we offer a Northern Allowance of $2.60 per hour up to $5,282 per year. All job offers are subject to references, a satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including vulnerable sector search) and an Employee Health Risk Assessment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicant must submit a resume, quoting competition number to:
Hay River Health & Social Services Authority
37911 Mackenzie Highway, Hay River, NT XOE OR6
Fax: (867) 874-8345
hrhssa_competitions [@] gov. nt. ca
If you would like this information in another official language, contact us at (867) 874-8111
Si vous voulez ces informations dans une autre langue officielle, contactez-nous à (867) 874-8111
Reference ID: 127-20
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $45.54-$54.39 per hour
- Overtime pay
- Casual dress
- Company car
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
All staff & visitors are screened prior to entering facility. All PPE is provided.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Hay River, NT: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Social Worker: 1 year (required)
- Child Protection & Adoption: 1 year (required)
- English (required)
- Canadian Social Worker professional registration (required)
- Class 5 (general) driver's license (required)
- Bachelor of Social Work (preferred)
- Day Shift (preferred)
- Night Shift (preferred)
- Overnight Shift (preferred)